The vaccination race is on, finally. And what a race it will be. Currently in the first place is Israel with 3,361,226 vaccinations, 63% of the (herd immunity part) population (38% of population) and the country will be finished at February 12, 2021. The second place is the UAE, 2,339,078 vaccinated, 40% of the (herd immunity part) population (25% of population) and the country will be finished at March 23, 2021. At number 4, we see Gibraltar, number 5 Seychelles, number 6 the UK and finally on number 7 the US. Here is the complete list.
|Country||Number of vaccinations||Date complete||Part population vaccinated||Part population vaccinated|
Why is the vaccination campaign hopeless behind schedule?
Despite all the efforts of the few countries vaccinating their populations, the biggest part of the world is hopeless behind. There are various reasons for that.
- Many countries are hoarding the vaccines, so that the availability is becoming a problem for other countries and the price goes up. The worst offender is Canada.
- Many countries don't see it as serious as the WHO and the UN states. It is not only the populations who lost trust in governments, science and media, also leaders of the various countries in the world and I understand very well why.
- Too many countries don't have the money to buy the vaccines. Thanks to those countries hoarding the vaccines the prices are also going up. The world bank is one of those few who assist them in giving them money to buy the vaccines, even if it is only partly covering their populations.
- Too any countries don't have the infrastructure in place to contact all of their populations. That means if those countries want to vaccinate their populations in remote locations, they need to invest extra money in mobile vaccination centers.
- And finally, the vaccinations available at the moment don't show any improvement in the fight against the pandemic. Until this moment of writing, no other country proofs that the vaccine is working. As long s this is the case, many countries are hesitant to spend resources to the vaccination campaign.
Despite the efforts of those few countries to vaccinate their populations, it will not help at all to purge the corona pandemic. This pandemic only stops if the world reaches the herd immunity of 60%. And that takes with the current speed 121 years to reach that stage.
Potential problems with vaccinations in the US
With the political unrest in the US and the new administration, Biden plans to change the vaccination campaign in the US fundamentally.
The old President Trump used the method of delegating the tasks of vaccinating the US population to the individual states. And he was of course right, because it is basic management.
Biden though, seems not to have any idea about management, prefers to micromanage to vaccinate the US population, which will for sure end up in delays, problems and ultimately in failure. Just like Obama and his fight against the ISIS, it was and is doomed to fail.
Normally, who cares what happens in the US, but this has a global impact. Any problems in the vaccination of such large population means additional delays.
You can download the data used in this article here. This is a zip-file (compressed) with an Excel spreadsheet and additional CSV-files. All the data used in this article and the data from the spreadsheet is based on the raw data from the Data Repository by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University. It is the only acceptable repository of coronavirus infections, recoveries and mortalities in the world, supported by the W.H.O. Additional references are also from ArcGIS Dashboards, Search for a Dataset - Humanitarian Data Exchange and COVID-19 pandemic data - Wikipedia.